This hard boiled eggs recipe is from the book “The Cooking of Tuscany” by Valentina Harris (1992) . Its great, especially if you are on a low carb diet.
At present I am using some Tuscan sausages with Rosemary from my local Italian shop Galli Nero for this.
|1 tbsp olive oil
||400g tin plum tomatoes, drained
|1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
||Salt and black pepper
|4 Italian spicy pork sausages, skins removed and crumbled
||150-200g Penne rigata
|1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
||150 ml double cream
|I bay leaf
||75g freshly grated parmesan
|1 small dried chilli, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion until lightly browned.
- Add the crumbled sausages, rosemary, bay leaf and chilli. Fry together over a high heat, stirring to mash the sausages.
- Remove all but 1 tbsp of the fat and continue to cook for 20 minutes, stirring often. The sausagemeat should disintegrate.
- Add the tomatoes, stir and return to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- Cook the penne according to packet instructions in a generous amount of boiling salted water until al dente, then drain thoroughly.
- Stir the cream into the sauce along with the drained pasta and half the parmesan.
- Serve with the remaining parmesan.