A delicious version of egg curry in a coconut sauce from ” Chai, Chaat and Chutney” by Chetna Makan.
- 4 tbsps sunflower oil
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamon pods
- 4 onions peeled and grated or minced
- 2.5 cm fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 4 plump garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 100 ml boiling water
- 8 large free range eggs
- rice to serve
- Heat 2 tbsps of the oil in a wide saucepan over a medium heat. Add the cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamon and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the onions and cook over a medium heat until they are a dark golden brown- this could take up to 30 minutes.
- When the onions have browned stir in the ginger and garlic and cook for another two minutes, then add the tinned tomatoes. Mix well, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the salt, sugar,coriander, garam masala and turmeric then mix well and cook for a couple of minutes more. Add the coconut milk and the boiling water. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, boil the eggs in a separate saucepan for 10 minutes then drain and cool under cold running water. Peel the eggs.
- Heat the remaining sunflower oil in a frying pan and fry the whole eggs for 2 minutes over a high heat, turning occasionally until golden.
- Put the eggs into the sauce and serve hot with rice.
Share this Recipe