Souffle without the height from Claire Thomson’s ” Home Cookery Year”.Serve with a green salad dressed in a good vinaigrette.
- 30 g parmesan grated
- 90 g unsalted butter plus more for greasing
- 50 g plain flour
- 500 ml whole milk plus more to season
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- about 1/6 nutmeg grated
- 6 free range eggs well beaten
- 200 g gruyere or cheddar coarsely grated ( or a mixture)
- 1/2 small bunch flat leaf parsley or chives finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 C, 180 Fan, Gas 6. Grease a 1.5 litre gratin dish with butter.
- Sprinkle the grease gratin dish with half the parmesan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a moderate heat, then whisk in the flour and cook for 20 seconds until it bubbles a little. Whisk in the milk vigorously, then cook, whisking all the time, for 3-5 minutes until it comes to a boil.
- Keep whisking over a low heat for two minutes until the mixture thickens, then remove from the heat and stir in the 1/2 tsp salt, the nutmeg and plenty of black pepper. Leave to cool for about ten minutes.
- Now mix the beaten eggs into the white sauce along with the grated gruyere or cheddar and the herbs and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the buttered gratin dish and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan. Bake for 30-40 minutes until well puffed and nicely browned on top, Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Share this Recipe