A delicious vegan recipe from Meera Sodha.
- For the cabbage pickle
- 220 g red cabbage (ie about ⅓ cabbage), cored and finely shredded
- ½ Cucumber seeds removed and sliced into thin strips
- 1 handful mint leaves roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- For the mouth-numbing chilli oil
- 2 tbsp sichuan peppercorns
- 4 tbsp dried chilli flakes
- 6 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- For the noodles
- 4 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 400 g dried wheat noodles
- Put the cabbage, cucumber and mint in a bowl, add the vinegar, sesame oil and a pinch of salt, and mix with your hands. Scatter with sesame seeds and leave to one side.
- In a blender or spice grinder, blitz the peppercorns and chilli flakes to a rough powder. Heat the oil on a medium flame, then add the garlic and let it sizzle for a minute or two, until it turns a pale gold.
- Stir in the sugar, half a teaspoon of salt and the ground peppercorn and chilli mixture, and take off the heat.
- In a bowl, mix the peanut butter and sesame oil for the noodles with a third of a teaspoon of salt. Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, then drain, rinse under cold water and drain again.
- Put the noodles in a bowl and add two tablespoons of chilli oil and the peanut mixture. Toss with your hands, making sure all the noodles are well coated, then season to taste.
- To serve, lift the noodles on to a platter (or four shallow bowls), top with a handful of the sharp crunchy cabbage, then add a drizzle of chilli oil, depending on your threshold for mouth-numbing heat.
Share this Recipe