This dish in Meera Sodha’s ” Fresh India” is a favourite on the menu of the Thali chain of restaurants in Bristol.
- 3 tbsps rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsps gram flower
- 600 g hard paneer cut into 3 cm cubes
- 4 cm ginger peeled and grated
- 6 plump garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 1 1/4 tsps Chilli powder
- 2 tbsps mango chutney
- 1 1/2 tsps ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 tsps salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsps tomato puree
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander
- 1 1/2 red peppers cut into 3 cm squares
- Put the oil into a small pan over a medium heat. When hot, add the gram flour and stir into the oil. Reduce the heat to low and stir until the oil is absorbed and you have a paste. Aim for a nutty brown colour but don't allow it to burn. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Put the flour mixture into a bowl with the paneer and all of the other ingredients apart from the red pepper. Mix well and leave to marinate for at least 15 minutes but longer if you can.
- If you are using wooden skewers soak them in a bowl of cold water until ready to use.
- When you are ready to cook thread the paneer cubes and the red peppers alternately on the skewers. Meanwhile heat up a griddle pan, frying pan or the barbeque.
- Cook the kebabs for around 8 minutes, turning them every couple of minutes, until they are nicely chargrilled on each side.
- Serve immediately with naan bread or rice, cucumber and mint raita and an Indian salad.
Share this Recipe