A quick and bright tasting supper from ” Tender:Volume 1″ by Nigel Slater. You need to be brave when cooking the meat- fry till it glistens and is almost crisp before you add the remaining ingredients. I like to use purple sprouting broccoli but any fresh broccoli will do nicely.
- a large handful broccoli florets
- 3 spring onions trimmed
- 3 plump garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 3 hot red chillies deseeded and finely sliced
- 3 tbsps groundnut oil
- 300 g minced lamb
- juice of a lime
- 1 tbsp thai fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- a small handful coriander leaves
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for one minute then drain and set aside. Chop the spring onions removing the darker green leaves as you go.
- Heat the oil in a wok or shallow pan. When it is really hot add the onions, garlic and chillies and cook until soft but not coloured, stirring.
- Add the lamb and let it colour ( see introduction)- it should go a rich golden colour.
- Add the broccoli and stir. In a small bowl mix the lime juice with the fish sauce and sugar. Tip into the hot pan and leave to sizzle briefly, scraping the bottom of the pan. Check the seasoning and stir in the coriander then serve- perhaps with rice.
Share this Recipe