A delicious snack or supper from Nigel Slater’s ” Greenfeast:autumn, winter” . You could also use Shropshire Blue or Stichelton cheese, but leave out the mustard and add a little more cream .
- 1 large leek trimmed, thinly sliced and washed
- 30 g butter
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 250 ml double cream
- 100 g caerphilly coarsely grated ( or use Shropshire Blue or Stichelton)
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 crumpets
- Put the still wet leek in a deep saucepan over a low heat with the butter. Cover and leave to cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes until softened. Don't let the leeks brown.
- Stir the flour into the leeks and cook for a couple of minutes then pour in the double cream. Add the cheese and the mustards, plus a little salt and black pepper.
- Heat a grill and toast the crumpets. Spoon the leek and cheese mixture over and return to the grill. Cook until the surface is patchily golden.
Share this Recipe