A recipe from the scenic city of Udaipur in Rajasthan which I found in ” Thali” by Maunika Gowardhan. Its good served with dal, rotis and raita.
- 2 tbsps ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds coarsely crushed
- 1 dried mild red chilli
- 1 green bird’s-eye chilli slit lengthways
- 150 g white onions finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 160 g tomatoes finely chopped
- 550 g cauliflower cut into bite sized florets
- salt to taste
- 5 cm ginger root cut into matchsticks
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- chopped coriander to garnish
- Heat the ghee in a heavy based non stick saucepan over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds and the dried chilli and fry for a few seconds. Add the green chilli and onions, stir well and soften for 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir fry for a minute, then add the chilli powder, turmeric and tomatoes and fry for 5 minutes as the tomatoes soften.
- Add the cauliflower florets, season to taste and mix well for a minute to coat the florets with the masala. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until the cauliflower is cooked through, stirring half way.
- Turn off the heat and add the ginger, chaat masala and fresh coriander. Stir and serve warm with rotis, dal and raita.
Share this Recipe