More comfort food in this recipe for slow fried potatoes with cheese from Nigel Slater. Charlotte or Belle de Fontenay Potatoes are good to use, but you can use any salad potato that will hold its shape. This can be served as a main course or as a side dish .
- 500 g waxy potatoes
- 1 medium onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 2 plump cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 1 small palmful fresh thyme leaves
- 100 g Taleggio or Fontina cheese
- Slice the potatoes lengthways into rounds the thickness of pound coins.
- Heat the oil and butter in a shallow 22cm saute pan over a low to medium heat. Add the onion and gently fry until golden and soft.
- Add the potatoes together with the garlic, thyme a little sea salt and some pepper. Toss gently to coat.
- Reduce heat to as low as possible and cover the pan so that the potatoes cook slowly, stirring now and then. After 40-50 minutes they will be soft and golden.
- Slice the cheese thinly, lay it on top of the potatoes and cover the pan again. After a couple of minutes the cheese will be melted . Serve immediately.
Share this Recipe