A delicious way with green beans from Madhur Jaffrey’s ” Indian Cookery”.
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 4 plump garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 1 hot dried red chilli crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the beans then cut them into 2 " lengths. Blanch in boiling water , boiling rapidly for 3-4 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. When hot add the mustard seeds and , when they start to pop, add the garlic. Stir and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the crushed red chilli and stir for a few seconds before adding the beans, salt and sugar. Stir together.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook the beans, stirring, for 7-8 minutes, until they have absorbed the flavour of the spices. Season with black pepper, stir again and serve.
Share this Recipe