I love Purple Sprouting Broccoli especially at this time of year when it is so tender it can be eaten raw if freshly picked. My supplier of choice is Sarah Green’s Organics who has a stall every fortnight at my former local farmers market in Stoke Newington. You can of course use different greens- kale would be a good alternative.
You can add more cream, butter or hot water to the polenta if preferred to make a soupier mix.
- 125 g fine quick cook polenta
- 100 ml double cream warmed
- 50g butter
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli
- 50g freshly grated parmesan
- Heat 500 ml water in a deep saucepan and add a good pinch of salt. As it boils slowly trickle in the polenta, stirring, and return to the boil.
- As it thickens pour in the cream, the butter and two thirds of the parmesan and stir together.
- Meanwhile steam the broccoli or other greens for about three minutes.
- Serve the polenta with the greens on top sprinkled with the remaining parmesan.
Share this Recipe