I am always looking for new recipes to use Paneer cheese. This one is from Meera Sodha’s ” Fresh India”, one of my favourite vegetarian cookbooks.Serve with some simply dressed leaves.
- 4 large romano peppers
- 2 tbsps sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds crushed
- 1 brown onion peeled and finely diced
- 1 green chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cm fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 225 g paneer grated
- 1 large ripe tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli pepper
- 20 g fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, 165 Fan, Gas 4 and line an oven tray with baking paper or foil.
- Slice open the top of the pepper, 1 cm below the stem but dont slice it all the way round, then slice down the middle of the pepper.Open it up with your hands, gently pull out the seeds and discard. Do this with all the peppers.
- Put a frying pan on a medium heat. When hot, add the oil and the crushed cumin seeds and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add the onion and fry for around 8 minutes until soft, then add the green chilli and ginger. Cook for a couple of minutes more.
- Add the paneer and tomato and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until soft, then add the salt, chilli powder and coriander. Mix well, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Divide the mixture into four and stuff each pepper using a spoon. Press the pepper closed, lay on the oven tray and bake for 20 minutes or until the peppers are soft and slightly charred in places.
Share this Recipe