A recipe from “ComfortMOB” by Ben Lebus.
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 red chillies
- 150 g Parmesan cheese plus extra for grating, with rind
- olive oil for drizzling
- 150 g tomato puree
- 50 ml vodka
- 200 ml double cream
- 500 g rigatoni
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- Peel the onion and garlic. Finely slice the onion and red chillies. Grate the garlic. Chop off the parmesan rind.
- Drizzle in a splash of olive oil to a large saucepan and add the onions. Fry until translucent, then add the garlic and chilli. Fry for a minute, then add the tomato purée. Mix it in and cook for four minutes over a medium heat, allowing the tomato mix to catch on the pan.
- At this point, pour in the vodka, deglazing the sticky bits off the bottom of the pan with your wooden spoon. Once the alcohol has burnt off (20 seconds), add the cream as well as the cheese rind. Mix it in and turn down the heat.
- Get your pasta on. Cook it in a large pan of boiling salted water for one minute less than the packet instructions say. After two minutes, remove 200ml of pasta water from the pan.
- Stir in 100ml of the pasta water into your vodka sauce (reserve the rest). Then grate in the cheese and add some salt and black pepper. Mix it together and bubble on a low-medium heat for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Drain the pasta in a colander, then tip into the vodka sauce, tossing it through and adding splashes of reserved pasta water to keep the sauce loose.
- Pile the pasta into four bowls. Tear over the basil and finish with some more grated cheese.
Share this Recipe