Felicity Cloake’s ” perfect” version.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus a little extra to finish
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 400 g good tinned chopped tomatoes
- 200 g Penne
- 1/4 tsp red wine vinegar
- Handful of basil leaves
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the chilli. When it begins to darken, stir in the garlic and cook just until it colours slightly, then add the tomatoes and a generous pinch of salt, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes while you cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until just al dente. The sauce should be thick by this time – if it looks too dry, add a splash of the pasta cooking water.
- Stir in the vinegar and season to taste, then drain the pasta and stir into the sauce. Cook until the sauce coats each piece, then divide between bowls, drizzle over a little oil and tear over the basil leaves.
Share this Recipe