- Wash the spinach and pat dry with paper towels. Shred
- Heat 4tbsps of the oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic cloves and the bread and fry until brown. Transfer to a mortar. Add a few pinches of the sea salt and pound to a paste.
- Stir in the cumin , vinegar and 2 tbsps water.
- Heat the remaining tbsp oil in a wok over a high heat. When very hot add the spinach leaves and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until wilting, stirring frequently
- Add the chickpeas and 7 fl oz cold water. Season with salt & pepper.
- Bring to a simmer then stir in the pounded bread and garlic paste. Cook over a gentle heat for 15 minutes until very thick and pulpy.
- The flavour improves if left overnight and then reheated.