- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion and fry gently for about 5 minutes until softened and beginning to colour.
- Add the garlic and chilli and fry for a couple of minutes more, then add the tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar and half the basil.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until thickened and reduced. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instrctions, then drain.
- Just before serving add the mozzarella to the sauce, then stir into the pasta.
- Divide between two pasta bowls and sprinkle with the remaining basil and some grated parmesan