This is a recipe for cheese on toast, Anglo- Indian style, courtesy of Dishoom. Good comfort food for brunch as the weather gets chillier. Of course you can use whatever bread you like, i recently made it with a sweet bread made by our local bakery to celebrate Mexican Day of the Dead.
- 4 slices white sourdough bread
- 200 g mature cheddar cheese grated
- 4 sliced spring onions
- 1 large green chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 4 organic eggs
- Toast the bread until lightly browned.
- Mix the cheese with the spring onions and the chilli, then season with black pepper.
- Set aside 4 tbsps of the mixture then mash the remaining mixture with the back of a spoon. Spread the mashed cheese evenly on the toasted bread.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and place the cheese under the grill to cook. Crack the eggs into the frying pan and fry until the whites are set and the yolks are golden.
- Remove the toast from the grill when it is slightly browned and bubbling on top.
- Slide the eggs on top of the cheese on toast, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese mixture and grill for a further minute.
- Serve immediately with tomato ketchup on the side.
Share this Recipe