This is Penelope Casas recipe which I keep returning to, from “ The Food and Wines of Spain “ (1982)
|1 cup olive oil
||1 large onion, thickly sliced
|4 large potatoes cut in 1/8 “ thick slices
||4 large organic eggs
- Heat the oil in a 9” frying pan and add the potato slices one at a time. Alternate potato layers with onion slices and salt layers lightly.
- Cook slowly over a medium heat, lifting and turning the potatoes from time to time until they are tender but not brown.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs and season to taste.
- Remove the potatoes from the frying pan and drain in a colander, retaining about 3 tbsp of the oil.
- Add the potatoes to the beaten egg and press down so they are covered. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil until very hot and pour in the potato and egg mixture, rapidly spreading out in the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium high and shake the pan oven. When set underneath flip over using a plate and slide back into the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and flip two or three more times, cooking briefly on each side- it should still be slightly soft inside.
- Transfer to a plate and serve hot or at room temperature .