Succulent and sticky pork from Nigel Slater.
- 1 kg rack of pork ribs skin removed
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 3 leaves bay
- 12 black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- For the kimchi slaw:
- 150 g Cucumber
- 250 g radishes
- 250 g kimchi
- 250 g kimchi
- Put the kettle on. Turn the oven to 160C/gas mark 3. Lightly crush the fennel seeds with a pestle and mortar and put them in a roasting tin with the bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Pour freshly boiled water into the tin and place a metal rack for the pork to sit on over the roasting tin.
- Season the ribs with salt, then place on the rack and cover the tin and pork tightly with tinfoil. Place in the oven and bake for 2½ hours until the meat is tender (it should pull easily from its bones).
- Mix the date syrup and pomegranate molasses. Remove the roasting tin from the oven, take off the foil, lift off the rack and pour away the water.
- Turn the oven up to 220C/gas mark 8. Line the roasting tin with foil then replace the rack and pork on the tin and brush the meat generously with the syrup.
- Return the meat to the oven, uncovered, and bake for about 10 minutes, then brush it with more of the syrup. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until the meat is dark, sticky and glossy.
- Remove the meat from the tin and leave to rest for 10 minutes before cutting into ribs and serving with the slaw below.
- For the kimchi slaw, peel the cucumber and cut into slim matchstick-sized pieces. Slice the radishes into thin rounds then add both to the kimchi and set aside for a good hour.
Share this Recipe