- Chop the ginger and garlic and pound together in a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and add the garlic and ginger paste and the onions. Cook gently for about 7 mins, stirring often, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, grind the whole spices in a mill. Add to the pan with the cayenne, turmeric and salt and cook for 2 mins more.
- Add the carrot, coconut milk and lemon. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add all the remaining vegetables except the broccoli. Cover and cook slowly for 20-30 mins until the vegetables are tender.
- Cook the broccoli separately for about 3 mins in boiling water.
- When the vegetables are done check seasoning and stir in the broccoli.
- Serve with rice and garnish with the cashews and chopped coriander. It goes well with Banana Raita and a chutney of your choice.